Welcome!

We are Roger, Charity, Felix, and MK! Welcome to our family blog!

To follow my photography blog, click here!





Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What are God's thoughts on Tradition?

This time of year, traditions are big! As a somewhat new mother, I know I've given a lot of thought about what traditions I want to begin in our small family. As a child, I loved what traditions we had. What is it that makes us all love tradition? I think it's the familiarity of it, the idea that we can recreate good memories year after year that is so appealing to our human nature. It's comfortable!

Let's think beyond holiday traditions and just the general idea of tradition. More specifically, tradition in church. Lately, I've found myself frustrated with tradition. Some of our churches are so bound by hundreds of years of tradition that it overrules Biblical truth. In some cases, I know it doesn't necessarily contradict the Bible, but seems to distract from the message. To sum it up, tradition is not saving people! So, where's the balance? If it's not adding to God's kingdom, bringing in the lost, taking care of the poor, discipling...where does it belong? I'm so tired of doing things just because that's the way it's always done. What's the value in tradition? When we think about it, aren't traditions more about gratification for self rather than to Him? Someone help me because right now I've experienced so much by the extreme that I'm not seeing it!

Someone please give me a good counter argument, because I'm not so sure I'm ready to give up all my tradition. ;)

1 comment:

Recovering Perfectionist said...

i love tradition! and, your post is quite timely. i've had this ongoing debate/conversation. i appreciated your point about it being self gratifying. got me thinking! though i have no solid argument on the other side, something popped into mind a while after reading your post. what about all of the OT feasts and ceremonies? would those be considered tradition? yes, they were mandated by God but also celebrated annually. perhaps God likes tradition when rooted in the purpose of His pleasure not ours. typing as i think and should probably stop. let me know if you have any lightbulb moments. ;-)